Location
The Parkway Hotel is just across the road from the main entrance to the Phillips Memorial
Gardens on Alma street. The gardens were opened in 1885 and originally had cast iron gate posts.
These and the gates themselves are a fine example late 19th century iron work. The fence and
gates were manufactured by F. McKays, Ballarat Foundry.
In 1926 the iron gate posts were relocated to the northern entry of the park and replaced
by the Red Cross with the current granite posts that commerate the many son's of Maryborough
who were killed in action during WW1. These were restored and rededicated at a ceremony on 23
September 1991.

Historical context
The gold rush era
The Park Road Precinct, where the hotel is located, was an important arterial route connecting
Maryborough to the Golden Triangle (Dunolly, Tarnagulla, and Moliagul) during the Gold Rush.
This era saw the development of affluent residential and commercial properties in the area.
Architectural significance
The hotel is part of a late Victorian Italianate precinct, which includes other properties
featuring characteristic hipped roofs, iron lacework, and deep setbacks.
Ownership
The Park Hotel in Maryborough, VIC, has a history tied to the Curtain family and experienced
changes in management over the years
1891 - 1910:
During this period the most noteable icensee was Mrs Meadway in 1891. In 1910 the building was
damaged by a signficant fire.
1910 - 1913:
The hotel saw several changes in management after 1910, with Lilian Amoretty selling the
licence to Elizabeth Blewett in 1911, who then sold it to Conrad Lischeld in 1913.
1913 - mid 1930s:
The licence was then transfered to the Curtain family, who owned the pub until
the mid 1930s.
Mid 1930s to 1954:
During this period the pub was owned by M.S. & C.A. Galvin
1954 to present:
The licence was transfered to Montague Sweeney Galvin in February 1954.